Mission San Luis de Apalachee

Apalachee Council House reconstruction at Mission San Luis de Apalachee

Mission San Luis de Apalachee was the western capital of the mission system in La Florida from 1656 to 1704. The settlement boasted a population of over 1400 Apalachee Indians who resided at the hilltop mission center and in surrounding hamlets and farmsteads. San Luis was also the residence of a lieutenant governor, military garrison and their families, friars and civilians. Except for a few Spanish cattle ranchers scattered across the landscape, colonists lived near the center of San Luis in a community described by one chronicler as having the appearance of a small Spanish city.

 

Internal Links:

Ancient Civilizations of Florida

External Links:

Le Moyne’s Florida Indians

Tagged with  

Comments are closed.