The 10-acre site that encompasses Madira Bickel Mound was named after Mrs. Madira Bickel of Sarasota, who joined her husband Karl, in preserving Native American mounds from destruction. In 1948, the Bickels purchased and donated the mound and surrounding land to the state. The mound was the first site in Florida to become a state archaeological site.
Located on Terra Ceia Island, the site’s primary feature is a flat-topped temple or ceremonial mound. The mound is composed of sand, shell and village debris and measures 100 by 170 feet at the base and 20 feet in height. For access the people that once inhabited the area placed a 10-foot wide ramp on the western side of the mound. A present-day trail follows this ancient approach.
Ancient Civilizations of Florida: Madira Bickel Mounds
Le Moyne’s Florida Indians @ TheNewWorld.us
Madira Bickel Mound State Archaeological Site @ TravelingAround.com (+video)
Madira Bickel Mound State Archaeological Site @ FloridaStateParks.org