Philippe Park was acquired in 1948, making it the oldest park in the county. This historically rich park bears the name of Count Odet Philippe who introduced citrus culture to Florida. The existing park property was part of the original Philippe plantation from which several citrus trees still remain. An Indian mound listed in the National Register of Historic Landmarks as the Safety Harbor Site is also located within the park. Artifacts found in this mound are in display at the nearby Safety Harbor Museum.
Much of the 122-acre park is shaded by large oaks and other hardwood trees. The park offers picnicking, a view of Old Tampa Bay along 1 mile of shoreline, a boat launching facility, fishing, and play areas.
Le Moyne’s Florida Indians @ TheNewWorld.us