Oelsner Mound

From this historical marker: “ThisĀ Indian mound is all that remains of a late Weeden Island period community, probably settled about AD 1000 and inhabited for several hundred years. Excavations conducted in 1879 by S. T. Walker for the Smithsonian Institution indicated this was a temple mound. A nearby burial mound, excavated in 1903 by Clarence B. Moore, was subsequently destroyed by developers along with other remnants of the prehistoric community. This mound was preserved by its owner, the late “Aunt” Martha Oelsner, who believed that it also contains Timuqua or Calusa Indian graves.”

Internal Links:

Lost Worlds: Florida

Ancient Civilizations of Florida

External Links:

Le Moyne’s Florida Indians @ TheNewWorld.us

Tagged with  

Comments are closed.